5/01/2015

Strut prep and paint - Let's make em' hot again

  Since I bought the front struts and springs used, from up north, I knew they would need a little clean up and some rust removal. Not a big issue for me as these things tend to hold up better than folks expect.

  I started off by cleaning the struts thoroughly. Some degreaser, sweat, and brake cleaner later they were better.

  Once I got most of the grim off it was time to take care of the tough spots. I pulled out my bottle of rust arrester from the hatchback days (technically its still around though). I lathered them nicely in this and let them fizzle. Please be careful with that stuff folks. Its really nasty. After letting them sit over night, it was time for the good stuff.
  I used a wire brush to break up some of the cracked and peeling powder coat. Then used some 220 grit sandpaper to rough em up just a bit.

  Laid down 2 coats of primer.

  I started to sand them again with 400 grit but, they were smooth enough for me so I went ahead and put down some "almost-bilstein-yellow" paint back on them.

Time to let them dry. I shot over the yellow with a little lime green as well. Just for fun. I had some ideas for some more color however, I'm running short on time. I still need to lay some clear coat on these.

  Since rear springs also had a little rust on them I went ahead and rust arrested them as well. After which I primed them and then, shot them with a light coat of under coating.

Materials


Before
After
  I dare say they turned out great. Of course you can't see the pretty writing that says they are H&Rs anymore. Sad for all those folks who want to climb under my car and inspect them. This undercoating holds up pretty well but, it isn't as good as the molded poly shielding around the H&Rs. We will see how these do long term.


No comments:

Post a Comment