5/14/2015

The search for the great suspension - Part 3 - The final pieces

E36 Suspension Upgrade - Bilstein w/H&R

  Since the last posting I've finally been able to get the last of the pieces for Helena's tired suspension. I was hoping to not have to replace the strut mounts on the used front Bilstiens however, I have no idea how many miles are on them, they are missing screws, and the rubber is starting to separate from the mount. Even one of these would be justification to change that bad boy.

  Here is the roughly finished listing below. I wanted to get 96+ M3 front strut mounts but, I'd like to see how these feel on the daily. Next change out perhaps I'll go for the M3 mounts. I'd like to see if I personally, can feel or notice a difference in the handling during normally driven duties.


  This will be round one to take care of that sweet floating feeling and get this BMW handling like well, a BMW. Its always good to have a few friends that can hang out and assist as well.

  For the front end: I call this performance restoration level 1.5. There are several pieces from the master list that I'm missing to make it a full level 2 in my mind. I'm not changing the sway bar links or the tie rods this go around.
  • 2 front control arms - check 
  • 2 control arm bushings with brackets - check 
  • 2 sway bar end links - nope! 
  • 2 tie rod assemblies - nope! 
  • 2 strut mounts - check 
  • 2 strut mount reinforcement plates - check
  In the rear I'm not doing anything except the shock mounts, springs, and shocks. 
  • 2 rear shock mounts - check
  • 2 rear shock mount reinforcement plates - nope!
  • 2 rear upper control arm bushings - nope! 
  • 2 camber arm bushings - nope! 
  • 4 rear upper and lower trailing arm ball joint upgrade - nope! 
  • 1 differential bushing - nope! 
  • 4 rear subframe bushings - nope! 
  • 2 trailing arm bushings - nope! 
  • 4 RTAB limiters - nope!
  Why not anymore on the rear? I ran out of cash flow. Plus, if I did it all at once what fun would that be? Gotta have some more projects to look forward to you know? We will investigate what else may be next on the list after we have given things a once over. This will be the second time I've been under the car since ownership.  

No comments:

Post a Comment