5/29/2015

Back from the alignment - Initial Thoughts

  After getting Helena back from the kind hand at Bolton James, the difference in handling was immediately noticed. Upon changing lanes I used to have to wrench on the wheel a good bit. The car sort of lumbered over there. Now turn in is crisp and sweet. It goes immediately, smoothly. Woah!

  The lean in while cornering is significantly improved. The front end used to feel like it was lifting a tire when I would go around any 90’ corners. Now it feels firm and planted. The rear feels incredibly stabile in comparison. I mean let’s face it though; I only changed out the shocks and mounts here. However, the rear end of the car looks like it was at least somewhat maintained. Bushings are not shot and failing. A few cracks per Eric but, nothing major. I got the same story from Bolton James.

  Since I am turning into an old man, the suspension does certainly feel somewhat stiffer. Now, I’m not talking rough civic hatch with hard springs stiff, just subtly more so. You can hear the bumps, if they are big enough, work through the suspension now. The car is controlled but, rebounds a bit more. This is a blemished comparison because the suspension was shot before. In comparison to how the ride was, soft and slushy, it is now a good amount of firm. It will just take some getting used to.

  The front end does still seem to lumber slightly. As it was designed I’m sure. This is a larger heavier vehicle, with a larger heavy engine up front. All of my comparisons come from a 90 hatch with tight suspension which, is really a bad comparison as well. The hatch is like a go-cart. Nothing I ever own moving forward will be as light or nimble as that, in my mind anyway.

  I’m not complaining about that fact either. I love the way BMW has designed the suspension. It is gentle yet sporty. I think it is the best balance of both. With big nice comfy leather recliners in there, it makes for a fun long distance cruiser as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment