11/28/2014

First Oil Change - 154687

  I knew that there was oil in my little 328 when I bought it. However I was unsure of what kind of oil (weight, manufacturer) had been put in the motor. Buying it used with as many miles as was on it I'm sure really isn't going to make a huge difference at this point but, there isn't a  I really wanted to get some fresh oil in there. I hit up the local auto parts this time around because I was impetuous this time around.

  I picked up my tried and trusted Castrol Edge. They didn't have 5w-40 on shelf. I ended up going the 10w-40 route this time around. It winter time here in SC but, it normally doesn't get that cold and this little one is garaged. At this point I was just happy to have some fresh oil ready to go in the motor. Normally they don't stock BMW oil filters. I was assuming it would have to an order, next day item. In fact this time around they did actually have 2 Bosch filters available. I ended getting both because of the oil deal that was going on. 10 quarts, 2 filters, around $100*. 

  Getting the oil out was simple. I had a hand from a seasoned oil changer and friend, Eric. Its a 17mm to remove the oil pan bolt. This 2.8 takes 7 quarts of the good stuff so, if its cold, you'll have to be patient. Not so impetuous now am I? 

  The oil filter housing is plastic with a 36mm nut molded to the cap. I found this out after the fact but, these caps are extremely tight even if using a torque wrench, set to the proper amount. It came off easy enough but, I doubt it will be easy to get off next time. 

  The new filter came with a new seal for the plastic housing. I used a small flat head screw driver to get the old one off. The new o ring just slides over the caps' threads and, stops in the groove designed for it. The filter is a cartridge style. The old one comes out, the new one drops in. Pretty straight forward.

  With the filter in place, put the cap back on the oil filter housing. Get it started by hand. We then, used a 3/8 torque wrench set for 25NM (18ft/lbs) as referenced here: Pelican Tech Article - E36 Oil Change, to secure it in place. The oil pan bolt if it is a 17mm is also torqued to the same spec. Top off your oil. Check the dipstick. And we are done.

  I now have piece of mind knowing the oil is fresh. Yippee! Although I need to do some more research in terms of what sort of oil is best suited. I'm sure I'll find several different answers on the web and the forums. I have some folks with applicable knowledge I need to talk to as well. I normally always use OEM fluids, just not this time around. We will see what I can come up with by the next oil change.

* Not a fantastic deal after really thinking about 

No comments:

Post a Comment