12/13/2014

Taxes, Title, Tags, and Tires

  Took a Friday off to take care of the car taxes. These things normally take all day so I wanted to be prepared. Early mornings are always best at county offices. Same goes for the DMV.

  First stop taxes. In SC we pay taxes for the car when purchased and then, every year after. The initial tax receipt is the first step in the car titling process for us. Instead of having to pay a notary, if a car is bought and titled in SC all you need is a signature of the previous owner on the title itself. Makes things easy. So waited in line for a bit. Gave the quasi nice lady my stuff. After that it's on to the next cow line. A quick swipe of the card and we are through. Taxes paid. Next stop the DMV. 

  There are two DMVs near us. The primary site near the college is not the place you want to be, ever. After several dealings with them I was shown the light. A friend told me about the one on the north side of town. It's still a DMV with the normal herding lines and massive waiting area. The difference lies in the number of people that go there. Maybe less people are in the know about this other location. So I'm not going to talk it up too much. I mean really it sucks just the same. You really wouldn't want to go there...

  Anyways, I started filling out my paperwork. The only good place to get your 20 sheets of paperwork situated is at the only stand up desk thing. The problem with this for me is that my back is turned to the whole room. This is an uncomfortable feeling for myself. I could barely get my paperwork filled out before I called up to the desk. Good and a bad thing.

  The woman at the desk was fairly pleasant. She gave me a moment to fill out the rest of my papers. She asked which plate I would like. We have choices here in SC. I finished up the other paperwork and she tallied up my total. What's the damage? Not terrible. A swipe of the card and on we go. The whole process wasn't too bad. I even got a small smile out of her. Nice conversation at a DMV is nearly impossible. The car gods must have been smiling down on me.

  Which taxes paid, title situated, and tags in hand it was time to focus on what was next, tires. I'm of course partial to Michelin Pilot Sports but, they are costly. I'm on a tight budget here. The local garage I deal with had two other options for me. I could get the BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sports or the Hankook Ventrus V12s. Two fine choices. I'm glad I didn't have more because doing tire research is so challenging. There are so many factor to think about.

  The price difference was only a bit more. I looked at all the Tirerack.com reviews and checked the forums. Both tires seemed neck and neck. Dry traction seemed a bit better with the BF but wet traction seemed better with the Hankook. There were some negatives about the BF due to road noise. This was negligible for me because I'm used to all the road noise. At the end of day I decided on the Hankook's because of the wet traction and the tread pattern.

  I also had personal driving experiences with this tire in an e36 and an e46. The V12's are a great balance between performance and comfort. I was going with 225/50 on the 16 inch sport wheels that came on the 328. At this point performance didn't matter that much given the fact that the front struts were shot.

  This led to another concern: If I'm going to spend money on new tires I better make sure that the alignment gets done at the same time. I don't want to shred all my tire meat right off in a couple miles. So I set up an appointment to get the tires on and a four wheel alignment on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment