12/06/2014

E36 Cabin Annoyances - The 50 Mile Low Down

  So I took the 328i out for more of a long distance drive. My daughter was with me this time around and it was close to nap time. For any first time parents, the car seat is a magic tool for nap time. She fell asleep on the way to where I wanted to go so, a small detour was in order. My daughter of course needed a good nap, else she would be cranky. No one likes a cranky toddler. Here are my opinions in 50 miles.

  - Cup holders.

  The cup holders are tapered, large at top to smaller at the bottom. I decided to go through a drive-through. I picked the fast food joint of my choice this time being Wendy's. All the normal drive-thru stuff happens. The scratchy, cracky speaker that 's hard to hear, the roll up to the window, the cash exchange. All good so far, a typical drive-thru experience. Next, they hand me my food. Smells good! Yum. They asked if I needed a drink holder. A drink holder? Haha! This is a BMW mam, I've go two perfectly good cup holders right here.



Then, the drink comes my way. Now I'm not talking about a Large drink here, I'm talking about a medium. The cup size is a somewhat normal 16-20ish oz container. The cup fits into the second of the tapered rings. This is where my confidence in the German cup holder engineering started to diminish. The cup is physically being held by about an inch worth of plastic. It is sitting up high because of the tapper of the holder. It can not go any lower without smashing the cup. The situation was made worse but adding a second drink. I really wanted to test the cup holders with a two drink setup. Go big or go home, right? Same size as the first. It sat in the cup holder closest the arm rest.

  So now I've got two normal sized drinks, filled to the brim with sticky, delicious soda, and flimsy plastic lids holding it all in. As I drive forward the cups teeter back. Just laughing at me as they change positions precariously. This car is still feeling new to me. I've put a decent amount of time cleaning her out at this point as well. So I'd really like to not have soda spilled everywhere.

  To exit the drive through its a right hand turn downhill slightly. I'm was really trying to drive, watch traffic, and keep an eye on the drinks at the same time. This didn't work out so well unfortunately I didn't even make one turn without issue here guys! The second drink closest to the arm rest tipped in ward. I'm surprised at the strength of those flimsy lids. It stayed on but, that still didn't keep Sprite from erupting forth. Spilling all over the e-brake handle and down the crevasse between the carpet and driver's seat. I'm sure this won't be the first incident. Cars were meant to be driven, ect ect. :/

 - Turn Signal, Cruise Control, and Wiper Levers


  This one will not be as drawn out as the cup holder situation. I simply feel like they are too far back from the wheel. *Edit - Perhaps too far back is a bad explanation. They also seem too short length wise.* 


  It always feels as if I'm groping for them when I need them. It could simply be that I'm not used to things on this vehicle yet but, I've never sit in a car and said hey, these signal levers seem to be hard to get to.


- Volume Knob on the stock stereo

  When you spin the knob the volume doesn't go up or down. You have to apply slight pressure down for it actually change the volume.

- Power Lock on driver's door

  I hear this is a super common issue. When you have your arm out the window for any reason. For me it happens often when I'm trying to scan my badge to get in the gate at work. If you bump the lock then, all the doors lock. Not an unusual thing just, it scares you the first time it happens. It happened to me today getting into the same gate. The problem I ran into is trying to get out after. The drivers door handle seemed hard to pull. Then, I gave it a bit more gusto, all the locks, in all the doors moved to the unlocked position, and the drivers door opened as normal. I had that feeling for a moment that my door was stuck closed and I'd have to climb out the window, Bandit style. Because race car!

  I'd mention the headlights but, they are not stock. More to come on this subject.

2 comments:

  1. After reading about how excited you were about having good cup holders, I wondered how long it would be before you discovered how terrible they are. Callie obviously has the same problem in Jorge. Maybe we need to buy German shaped drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Perhaps you are right. What do Germans drink?

    ReplyDelete