1/17/2016

The Breakdown - Coolant System Woes - Part 2 - Ken Baker Originals


So Ken Baker Originals (Europro) went to work to get things straightened out for me. They experienced there own troubles with Helena as it would seem as well. When they pressurized the system all seemed fine. This was good news. The next day the hose blew off again. This is when they discovered that the radiator inlet was broken. One of the rings of the inlet broke off when it overheated in the drive thru. I had forgotten all about this. I was stressed. Mark who is the Parts Manager there, took it all in stride. He was a calm professional and assured me it would be taken care of.

There was no safe way to reattach that hose. It was time to put in a new radiator. This was Wednesday. Is there an option for a radiator overnight? Mark called me back around 6:30 PM that evening and said that in fact he could get a radiator. It was an all aluminum CSF radiator. A decent all aluminum replacement and, his cost for this was less than a factory plastic one. A win, win!

Now things in Myrtle Beach run differently. When I hear overnight shipping, I'm thinking 2PM drop off at the latest. Normal stuff. However due to their being no straight route in it seems that sometimes this is not the case. The radiator didn't show up until after 3PM. I had to pick up the car because we were leaving the next morning. Talk about stress. Jeez, it was almost unbearable for me.

I called the shop to see how they were looking around 3PM. Kayla is the Parts Assistant answered the call. She went to find out what was up. She told me they had just got the radiator and were putting it in now. She said to expect it withing the hour. Glory hallelujah! The clouds parted, the storm calmed. It was the home stretch now. Paul ran me up there shortly after.


Upon arriving I see many Euros outside, a clean lot, and a clean shop. The boys were playing techno in the shop and getting work done. My kind of place. I met Mark and he took my out to me the BMW guru who was taking care of Helena. He was a very nice, down to earth, and polite gentleman as well. I probably sounded like a stupid kid talking to him but, I was so excited to see the car in a more functional state.


As we were talking the guru told me that he tried to get the fan switch out of the side of the radiator and with light pressure the whole side of the radiator broke off. The fan switch was stuck in the brass insert that was molded into the plastic end tank. I now have this as a memento. As well as a good reminded to be timely about maintenance of this car.

Needless to say, Europro pulled through wonderfully for me. They had a full shop and a lot full of cars to work on but, they still made time for my car, took time to have a conversation with me, and were not judgmental. They are a good group of folks over there. I was glad to have the chance to work with them, despite the less than fantastic reason for being there.


When the beans came down to be paid, Mark done me fairly. They advertise 30% less than the dealer. This is true. Parts costs are a little higher than what I'm used but, they have to eat too. By no means were they outrageous. Would you not spend a bit more to keep your BMW going? Then, to have those parts installed by Bosch certified technicians. I appreciate their work. If I ever find myself in need in the Myrtle Beach area, they are who I would go see next time.


Issue #1 - Car was getting hot and blew off the upper radiator hose.
Issue #2 - The system was pressurized then, blew off the hose again.
Issue #3 - No radiator fan or fan clutch. See starting coolant overhaul post.
Issue #4 - The plastic was broken off the upper radiator hose inlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment