1/07/2016

Starting the Coolant System Overhaul

3/17/2016 - Update on overheating

This all may be due to the initial overheating. When I used a stock 90/99 fan switch and 92C thermostat, once temps were over 80' F outside, the car was getting hot. Over 220' F again if it sat for any length of time. I do not recommend a fan delete with the stock configuration.


In my previous coolant system post I reviewed and ordered what I needed to start the coolant system overhaul. It was now go time to get them put in.

The process for installing and removing the water pump, mechanical fan, pulley, over flow tank, ect, can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/zcbu3m5

There is a fan tool to make the job easier but, I just used an adjustable wrench and another wrench on a pulley nut to hold the pulley. The problem i had with the adjustable wrench is that it was too thick. Do yourself a favor and get a 32mm wrench. Once the fan is out it is much easier to access everything.

After swapping all the necessary parts make sure you tighten up your bolts to spec.
Torque specs on thermo housing:
10mm bolts 7ft/lbs.
13mm bolt 16ft/lbs.
Don't over do it on the smaller 10mm thermostat housing bolts.

During installation I ran into a few issues. I did not have a new belt after all. I thought I had one in the bin but, I believe that one was Jeremy's. So need to put that on order. The aux fan switch is located on the side of the radiator. It screws into a brass fitting that was pressed in the side of the plastic. I tried to remove the switch but it just kept spinning. The current stock aux fan switch is stuck in the brass fitting. This is not good. It is only a matter of time before this causes issue.
  
The stock aux fan (90/99C) kicks in for the A/C and when the car hits 210' Fahrenheit.

I'm still unsure of whether I need a lower temp thermostat. The fan delete kits I've seen all come with 80C thermostats. The stock one for this car is 92C. The ECU and the motor like to be warm. Most other non euro vehicles come with lower temp thermos, not that, that really matters, just saying. We will see how it does.

The temp gauge is this car is not a good indicator of true temperature either. So to keep my sanity I have a Bluetooth ELM327 adapter that plugs in the OBDII port. It sends to an application called Torque on my Android phone. If you are not familiar with this app check it out here: http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page

$100 for an adapter and $5 for the app gives you far more than any OBD scanner I've seen on the market. The best plus for me right now is that I can use Torque to data log. This has been super helpful in monitoring the temps on the car. We have a trip coming up and I'm hoping to get some good data with the current setup:

     ECS water pump pulley (8% overdrive)
     Graf water pump (metal impeller)
     Stock fan switch
     Stock 92' thermo
     Stock radiator
     Stock overflow tank
     Stock 2 bar (30psi) overflow tank cap
     1 bottle of Redline water wetter
     Pentosin NF coolant, 50/50

I do not believe this setup will cut it in the heat of summer. Since the fan switch is stuck I'm going to need another radiator as well. It might be time for a reasonable upgrade. Now just to bleed off the system.

On to the pictures.

All the tools of the trade. Most importantly the coffee.


New Stuff.

Coolant and water wetter.

ECS Water Pump Pulley

Removed the upper shroud.

Removed the drain petcock.

Removed the upper overflow tank hose.

Removing the lower overflow tank hose.

Looking down at the water pump pulley bolts. 

Removing the one 13mm bolt from the thermostat housing.

Picking out the old thermostat housing seal.

Part number on the new seal.


Shot inside the thermostat housing.

7/8 socket fits the aux fan switch.

Old water pump, fan, fan clutch, and water pump pulley.

I plastic water pump impeller on this one. It was replaced in 2012. You could see the date stamp on it.

The water pump pulley that came off was not plastic and it had a BMW stamp on it. This had to have been replaced when the water pump was replaced because, this car should have a plastic pulley on it. You can see that it was chewed up a bit. I don't know why that is like that or, how it got that way.


Old Made in China fan clutch.

New GRAF water pump with metal impeller.

Long bar and star point used for the alternator belt tensioner.

Upper overflow tank to radiator hose and some clamps that were the wrong size.

New coolant tank level sensor.

Everything back together on the motor without the fan.

O-ring size 3/8" ID...

New o-ring for the coolant petcock.

New water pump pulley and fan delete nut installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment