6/11/2015

Fresher rear badge for Helena - Differences between e36 and e46 rear badges

  When removing the rear badge off your hot whip be careful using any metal object. If your an impatient goober like myself then, you will scratch your paint. Not that anyone else can see it after the new roundel is on but, you know its there.

  A good set of plastic/poly interior removal tools proves very valuable here. Most of the issues I've heard and seen with badges are from the plastic grommets on the trunk side cracking. This makes for an insecure fit on the new roundel. 

Differences between E46 badges and E36 badges  

  BMW stock part number on e36 front/rear badge: 8 132 375 
  Size Front and Rear: 82mm

  Part number on e46 badge: 
  Front: 8 132 375   Size Front: 82mm
  Rear:  8 219 337   Size Rear: 73mm

  Applies to the rear roundel only: As you can see the e46 badge (on right) is slightly smaller.
  
Removing the rear badge

 What worked for me. I started using a plastic spatula to get mine off the rear. However, the edge wasn't slim enough to get under it. I then, used a small screw driver that I wrapped in a paper towel. Not a smart Idea. I might as well have just used the screw driver. 

One I got it started by applying light pressure to the left and right sides of the roundel. When it started to lift,  I rocked it gently going from one side to the other. It then, started to shimmy itself out properly. Don't be too rough on it or you will crack those grommets. Once off, clean up the filth under it. Check your grommets, replace as necessary. Then, pop on your new roundel and enjoy.

  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment