12/21/2015

Sunroof Motor Cover Replacement

The fam and I are highway tripping it to see the folks one fine November day when I noticed an odd noise. I couldn't quite make out where it was coming from at first then, I realized it was coming from the sun roof cover.

I held in place for a minute then my wife messed with it for a moment. She said, leave it go, its fine. I tried to leave it but,  rattles that don't come from the stereo are not welcome in my car. They tend to try me crazy.

So like all times when I didn't listen to my significant other, bad things happened. I kept messing with the cover. I figured if I could just push it enough to stop rattling. Well a few miles later and, a bump over a bridge, it was dangling from the sunroof switch wiring. It about scared the life out of me when it fell.

It turned out that all but 2 of the clips were broken. Whatever was making the noise wasn't anymore but, I certainly couldn't leave the thing dangling there. We tried putting it back but it fell again so, we unplugged the sunroof switch and placed  the broken cover safely away.


When I put my water pump order in I went ahead and picked up a new cover as well. ECS tuning was one of the few, of the few I looked at, that had this piece. Less than $20 for a new, BMW, cover.

BMW Part number: 51448173537
Site link: https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E36-328i-M52_2.8L/ES115695/


The only downside for me since the cover is  new, it has a plushier foam backing, and is a clean shade of grey. My old headliner does not have the same backing and is not the same shade. This is no fault on the new part at all. Looks like I'll need to update my headliner soon to.
Installed! I even put the button in the correct orientation the first time. Can you even believe it?!



No comments:

Post a Comment