10/23/2015

2nd Oil Change - 161353


  Poor Helena has been overdue for an oil change. The last one was at 154xxx. I ran the Castrol GTX Full Synthetic 10w-40 through out summer. This time around I chose to go with a Mobile 1 Full Synthetic 5w-40 Turbo Diesel oil. Broader range with a lighter weight down low for the winter. I'm slightly concerned that the thin oil might do a bit more leaking on Helena's old seals. We will see. The manual also shows me that 15-40 is good down to 14`. I'm not thinking that we will be seeing those temps down here in the South. Its all a learning experience.

Factory manual recommends "Special - Oils" mmm hmm, yeees.

  I followed this Pelican Article loosely. I was confused by the two drain plugs it was telling me to look for. There is definitely only one drain plug on this pan.

So the change is an easy one.
  • Jack the car up.
  • Put her on stands.
  • Use a 17mm socket. Take the pan bolt out.
  • Let the oil drain. Make sure your pan is big enough to support more than 6 quarts, up to 7 quarts of  drainage.
  • Remove the oil filter cap. I used an adjustable wrench. I'm not happy about that though, it ate the plastic up a bit. I'd rather use a socket but, I don't have a 36mm.
  • Take out the oil filter, clean the inside of the filter housing.
  • Drop in the new filter.
  • Put the oil filter housing cap back on. Don't forget to put on the new seal. Do not over tighten this guy. They get stuck on easily.
  • Put 17mm plug back in the pan. 25Nm on the torque. Aka 18lbs/ft.
  • Take the car off the stands.
  • Fill her up with fresh oil. The 2.8 (M52B28) in mine took 6.5 quarts. Remember to check the stick again before you put everything away.
  • Just check your dipstick. Don't overfill.
  That's all there is to it.

  Then I took a few minutes to give the bay a once over. Got everything all shined up and clean. Nice to give her a once over after the hiatus.


No comments:

Post a Comment